smoke detector of fire alarm in action

The Invisible Killer: Carbon Monoxide

You can’t see, taste or smell the “Invisible Killer”: Carbon Monoxide (CO). It’s an odorless and colorless gas created by fuels burned incompletely. Additionally, Carbon Monoxide can be produced from anything that burns fuel: cars, stoves, grills, and fireplaces, to name a few. CO is dangerous when inhaled. It displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives vital organs of oxygen. Large amounts of CO can also cause loss of consciousness and suffocation within minutes. Signs of CO poisoning may include: constant headaches, weakness, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, and shortness of breath.

Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Understand the risks of Carbon Monoxide.
  • Schedule annual maintenance inspections for your fuel burning devices on the property.
  • Vent your gas appliances properly to prevent CO from building up inside the property.
  • A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Do not keep your vehicle’s engine running for long when parked, especially in a closed area.
  • Have the exhaust system of your vehicle checked annually by a mechanic (even a small leak in the exhaust system can lead to a build of CO inside the car)
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm(s) in a central location of the property.
  • Finally, test CO alarms at least once a month to ensure they are working properly.

 

To request more information or schedule a free, no-obligation consultation for carbon monoxide detectors – feel free to give us a call toll free at (800) 550-2537.

Contact us today!

Edward Michel
Follow Us
Latest posts by Edward Michel (see all)
MORE FROM VALLEY ALARM
Life Safety Tips for the Hot Summer Months
Share This
Scroll to Top