Summer Grilling safety

Summer Grilling Safety

Tips On How To Stay Safe While Having Fun!

Every year dozens of people are injured and hundreds of fires are reported because of grilling accidents. With the growing popularity of outdoor cooking, the problem promises to get worse before it gets better.

The leading cause of injuries and fire from gas grills is leaking fuel lines. Improperly connected hoses, cracked or broken hoses, misaligned venturi tubes can release unlit propane that can quickly build up and cause an explosion.

When it comes to out-of-control gas grill fires, identify the source of the fire. If the fire is in the grill itself then carefully turn off the control knobs and let the fire die down. If the fire is under the grill and you can get to the fuel tank, turn off the tank. This should kill the fire almost immediately. If it does not, or if you cannot get to the tank valve, get away from the grill and call the fire department.

The leading cause of injury related to the use of lighter fluids, is attempting to relight charcoal. Pouring lighter fluid onto hot coals causes the fluid to quickly vaporize. These vapors become extremely flammable. Without a strong wind the explosive vapors will not dissipate and will wait around for you to light the match.

Here are some key safety tips to keep in mind while you’re grilling this summer:

• When cooking food, use long-handled grilling tools to give plenty of clearance from heat and flames.

• Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below grill so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.

• Do not wear loose clothing while cooking at a grill.

• Position the grill well away from siding, deck railings, out from under eaves and overhanging branches and a safe distance from lawn games, play areas, and foot traffic.

• When cooking food, use long-handled grilling tools to give plenty of clearance from heat and flames.

• Be careful when using lighter fluid. Do not add fluid to an already lit fire because the flames can flashback up into the container and explode.

• Grill only outdoors! If used indoors, or in any enclosed spaces, such as garages or tents, barbecue grills pose both a fire hazard and the risk of exposing occupants to carbon monoxide.

Have fun and stay safe, enjoy your summer and let’s get grilling!

Edward Michel
Follow Us
Share This
Scroll to Top